October 21, 2011

Apple Upside-down Cake | Cake of the Month

Today I am introducing a new series to paper & trail: Cake Of the Month.  A cake recipe every month?  Yeah, I can handle that.  Anyway, to get to the point;
     
Apple Upside-down Cake


This recipe caught my eye because of its simplicity.  I absolutely had to make it once I saw that it called for cardamom.   
This cake comes together in no time at all,  yet the results are stunning.  I like that there is no fiddling with egg whites, and there is no baking soda (or powder) needed.   The most tedious step in the whole recipe is peeling and slicing the apples.  Other than that, it is a breeze to make.   A lovely crisp, golden crust develops on this cake, which is special, I think, especially among upside-down cakes.
I used Pippin apples because that was what was available at the time;  they have a superb baking quality,  but any firm apple could be used.
The vanilla is my addition.  I don't bake without it!  Cakes are incomplete until they contain vanilla, in my humble opinion. I think it adds good depth to this recipe.  And the cardamom makes for an intriguing note in the cake. It is not optional in my book.   Also, I left the nuts out - I didn't have time to toast them - but if I were to use them,  I'd go with pecans.  
By far my favorite aspect of this cake is the way the juice from the apples combines with the batter while baking.  The result is a bubbly, caramelized bottom and sides.  Bake this in a glass dish and you won't be sorry;  hold it above your head when cooled to see the beautiful pattern of sliced apples, caramel, and cake.  Show someone special,  or keep it all to yourself, a jewel of a secret. 
Apple Upside-down Cake 
4 cups thinly sliced, cored apple
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1-2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon cardamom
1 tablepoon sugar

     Butter a 9 1/2-inch deep dish pie plate; set aside.
In a large bowl combine the apple slices, lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon sugar; distribute evenly in prepared pie pan.  Sprinkle with walnuts, if using.  In another large bowl whisk together butter and 1 cup sugar.  Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time, and whisk well to incorporate.  Add the flour and spices, mix until the batter is a smooth consistency.   Spread batter evenly over apples.  Top with the remaining tablespoon of sugar.
Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes or so,  until cake is set and golden brown.  Serve with whipped cream and apple slices, if you're feeling decadent.       




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...